The Happy Hubbard Family

The Happy Hubbard Family
Established March 7, 2008

Friday, June 1, 2012

Refashioned Skirt




So I had an old skirt in my closet that was destined for the D.I.  However, I have been on Pinterest waaaaay too much lately, and I was looking at some cute refashioning ideas for my old clothes.  I found an idea where a lady turned an old skirt into a dress for her daughter.  It looked nothing like this dress, but it gave me the inspiration none the less.

I cut up one side of the skirt, removed some excess fabric, then sewed it back up.  I made some sleeves with some left over fabric, and figured it so the zipper could stay in the back.


 Makayla picks out her own outfits (so don't judge my mothering abilities.  The child doesn't always pick out the cutest of things, but at least she is making choices, right?) and she LOVES dresses.  She wears a dress a few times a week.  She would wear her Easter "princess dress" every single day if I would let her. I figured I would make her a bunch of dresses, so she can wear them whenever she wants, and if they get ruined it was only a little time that went into it instead of money.
 Here she is posing her new princess dress.  She loved every second of it.  She even sat and watched me finish the end of it.  She could not wait to put it on.  She would not normally be wearing a shirt underneath it, but I couldn't convince her to spend an extra three seconds undressing before we put the new dress on.
 I gathered the bottom because it was super long on her, and I didn't want to trim and hem (lazy much?) Plus, the gathering gave it more of a princess dress feel.
 This is the back.  I sewed some lace around to make a bow so she has a little room to grow.
I don't know where she gets these faces from.  It's all natural.  Can I just say I am so proud of myself.  The dress turned out better than I thought it would for my first go.  I am currently hunting for an old yellow/gold skirt like this one so I can make her a Belle dress from Beauty and the Beast.  She likes that movie a LOT, and would love to have a dress-up dress to play in. Now, if anyone has some old clothes just lying around, DON'T send them to the thrift store--send them to my house.  I think I may have just fired up a new addiction!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! I really like it. Good work. Isn't Pinterest WAY too addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serious?! You made that? It's super cute! Very very impressive!!

    ReplyDelete