The Happy Hubbard Family

The Happy Hubbard Family
Established March 7, 2008

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Work In Progress. . .

So, our house has always been a work in progress.  We bought it knowing it needed some love, and we have indeed loved it.  We are thrilled with our hard work and updates paying off.  I thought I would share some of the fun we've been having.


Ah...the lovely basement.  For those of you who don't know, we rent out our basement.  When we bought the home the basement was just lovely.  Can't you tell?  Here are some before/after pictures of the basement.


Let's begin with the family room.  Don't you love the shine in those curtains?

Notice the difference in carpet.  Look at those stains.  Gross.


Everyone loves a pink floor that isn't level with missing tiles!
Floor leveled and tiled.

No more pink tub!  Wish I would have taken a before picture...it was a sight to see!

This hallway is B E A utiful!  We pulled out some wallpaper (Egyptian tomb wallpaper), and this is what we found.  Lovely.

Ah....fixed.

Remember how I mentioned the Egyptian tomb wallpaper?  This is it.  WHO on Earth would ever use this to decorate their home???

Check out that kitchen.  Glad I wasn't the one cooking in it (Sorry Casandra!)

I HATE cabinets that are old and crusty, but I also don't have millions of dollars to spend on new ones. I had me some fun with a little paint.  New counters, you ask?  Why no, I again, had some fun with paint.


 The old carpet was like something you would find in a church from 1975.  We replaced it with top-of-the-line stuff that I could sleep on every night....if I lived in my own basement.


Now on to my favorite thing we have done.  THE YARD!!  When we bought the home, it came with almost half an acre of property.  I love having a big yard.  It is secluded and gorgeous during the summer, and I greatly enjoy it.  Well, half of our backyard was finished, and the other half (across a rickety old bridge) was just a pile of weeds.  By weeds I mean giant devil plants that were taller than I am.  I looked and looked for some pictures of it, but for the life of me can't find them.  Just imagine it...
 Devin's dad came over to help us take out the old crusty bridge and build a new one.  We had a wind storm a while back that caused a tree to fall on the bridge and it hasn't been that great since.  On to better things!
 Notice that beautiful garden in the background.  They started this project in October, and my garden was still producing stuff like mad!  I miss it.


 The first attempt they worked until it was dark, but didn't get too far.


 Our little helpers had to see what all the fuss was about!  Makayla loves to help Papa Dirt (Grandpa Curt).
 TA-DA! It is finished.  All it needs now is a coat of stain and we will be done.  Heck yes!

 We put down a TON of sod this summer.  Devin hauled an entire truck load by himself (I was massively pregnant when he did) and then we hauled two truck loads together.
 See those garden boxes?  They were completely full a month ago.  I had tons of stuff growing up the trellis things I made, and the garden was a huge success.  Can't wait until next year!
 We thought it would be fun to make a little area with a fire pit.  Can't wait to try that bad boy out!
 I am thrilled with the new bridge!  THRILLED!  Thanks Papa Dirt for the help!


I am so grateful to live in such a pretty area.  I love my home, even if it is old.  I love my yard, especially now that it is twice as big as it was at the beginning of summer.  We truly are blessed. 

















3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about putting a post like this on my blog.. of course some of my improvements arent as awesome as yours (New windows, cement, etc.) You have done a great job with all the paint and such. It looks great! And your new backyard is awesome! I cant wait until we can come for some marshmellows! Good job, its a really great house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bridge looks good. Last time I was there I just about died on the old bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I can't believe how much work you've don't on your house, especially the yard!! It looks so good!!! I really love old houses too. So much personality!

    ReplyDelete