The Happy Hubbard Family

The Happy Hubbard Family
Established March 7, 2008

Friday, April 18, 2014

Coloring Eggs

On Monday for Family Home Evening we decided to color some Easter eggs.  Needless to say, the kids LOVED it.  Maybe that is an understatement.  Let's just say Makayla has asked about six times a day when we get to color eggs again.  I figured four dozen would be plenty for them.  Sheesh.


Here they are with the supplies.  I found a pin on Pinterest that said I could use Kool-Aid instead of food coloring and vinegar.  It was just grand!  You just put one packet into like 1/2 cup of hot water.  It smelled heavenly, the eggs colored nicely, and we didn't make any messes with food coloring.  I took the kiddos to the store that afternoon and let them pick out 11 packets.  We used ten for coloring eggs, and one to drink.



Daddy helped them pour out the packets, and I helped them stir it all together.


Do you think they enjoyed the juice?  I'm not sure you can even call it juice.
More like sugar-water.  It is a very rare occasion when my kids have sugary drinks, so they gulped it down.  Makayla has also been asking to make more juice since Monday.
I will have to avoid the Kool-Aid aisle at the store for a while.


The first colored egg.  They were excited.


 Daxton really liked the green ones.


Most of the packets gave us vibrant colors, but yellow was not the best.  I started dipping my eggs into multiple colors to see what I would end up with.  Makayla quickly adapted my method, which meant she was combining greens with reds to make some lovely brown shades.  Funny girl.


She (of course) became very independent and wanted to do it all by herself.  She did pretty well.  We only had a few spills.  Good thing I put her in my T-shirt for the evening.  Daxton refused his, which means his laundry will be fun.



Aren't the colors nice?  I am converted.  I will do Kool-Aid every year from here on out.


I love the permanent juice mustache she had the entire night.



 I guess next year I will have to get more eggs, and then just eat them for breakfast and dinner for two weeks straight.


It was a fun night as a family.  These are the moments that I cherish.  I am certain that I will look back at these pictures and miss my little babies.  Being a mother is just so rewarding.  There will always be time for a career, but my children will only be children once.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that Kool-aid works! I have yet actually dyed eggs with my kids. No excuses next year! I did enjoy your cute little family picture! Soon there will be another mini Devin to add to the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how my kids love coloring eggs. We've done it every year. I have my Kool-aid to try this year so we'll see how it works. Yours look awesome. It really is so fun to do with kids. I love how excited they get.

    ReplyDelete