The Happy Hubbard Family

The Happy Hubbard Family
Established March 7, 2008

Friday, September 27, 2013

Canning

Holy Moses!  I have been canning my life away!  I started with a batch of salsa.  I had tons of tomatoes from my garden, and they made a splendid salsa.  We are eating it like candy!  I just up a few recipes online and picked one--it was a winner!  I added a few of my own personal touches, but it really was a good pick if I do so say myself.  In total I think I made about 25 jars of salsa in 2 batches.  I do, however, have more tomatoes from the garden.  Should I make another batch?  Oh sheesh!

Next we picked the apples from our apple trees.  Makayla had a lot of fun helping me.  I picked the apples, dropped them to the ground, and she ran around collecting them.  We got four boxes of apples! We have never had that many before.  Let's just say I had a few adventures in apple saucing.  It was a lot of work, but we ended up with 45 jars (and I STILL have more apples).  I also did a few jars of apple pie filling.  Yum!


 Such a good helper!




 These kids were such fruit monsters!  They couldn't stop eating (at least it was just fruit, right?)



 I had some friends and neighbors give me some peaches.  I just love some canned peaches.  This process is much easier and quicker than applesauce.  I did about 30 jars of peaches.




I had another friend offer me some pears from her tree.  I canned those bad boys into 15 jars.  So grateful for friends and neighbors and their willingness to share with me.  It is so appreciated!  I look forward to a huge stockpile of fruit in our food storage.  
Needless to say, my children are quite fond of fruit.


 I am thrilled to be done canning for the season (at least I thiiiink I am).  It was hard work, but I really enjoyed it.  I am glad to see our food storage grow by over 100 jars of good, healthy food.  Who would have thought that I would turn out to be so domestic?


2 comments:

  1. I need your applesauce recipe. I have two trees and it all just fell to the ground. My kids ate a bunch, but I'm not fond of apple anything, so I didn't can them. But my kids love applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved having all those things in the basement that we have canned. Free is good and healthy is good and it feels nice to know you have that skill in case you ever needed it for survival. Good work.

    ReplyDelete